Family

Family

Friday, June 17, 2011

Woah, I'm actually here

Yup, totally in Paris.
Driving through on the train, it stunned me a minute to actually believe I'm here. Hasn't quite wore off yet, I think it may take a little bit. :)

Not much too exciting in the last few days, spent the better part on trains or in train stations. It's actually a lot of fun to observe people in the train station, you end up seeing a lot.

I managed to get a sleeper train last night. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but since it was the only train I could get to Paris yesterday it wasn't so bad. Also cheaper than a night at most hostels with my pass, so can't complain about that.

I left Nice about 8 pm last night, and then I arrived in this little tiny town at 6 am to change trains. I had to wait until 9 am for the next train to arrive. Yea, no one really there at that time of day, and it was a very little town by the looks of the station. Fortunately they had a coffee vending machine so at least I was able to get that much.

Also, in little towns like that, not a lot people speak English, and I REALLY don't think they care. It's kind of funny actually. They will still try to explain things to me in French and clearly, I haven't the slightest. I might try and catch on pretty quick though, would like to learn.

Easily caught the next train, arrived in Paris, and then was at the hostel within a half an hour. Pretty impressive I might add. By now, I'm a total whiz at European metro systems. Once again, the metro system is massive of course. I arrived at the train station, went down three levels to the metro, ended up walking up three levels to change metro lines three stops later and that took me from above the city to underground at my stop. Kinda like a carnival ride. Always enjoyable.

I prefer the above ground metro's because then I can see what's around every stop, so if I see a market or something, I can always make a note and come back later.

So I noticed that it is very french to say hello to dear friends or even colleagues with a peck on either cheek. I totally forgot about that until I arrived and then everyone was doing it. I shouldn't be so surprised but I noticed even attendants at the train station greeted each other that way. It's different.

Also, there was some topless bathing on the beach in Nice. But for the most part, women kept their tops on. And the ones that didn't, maybe should have (no offense, but there's a certain age where some people should not be doing that). Also, boardshorts have gone out of style over in Nice. The older the men got, the smaller their bottoms. This is why I just really enjoyed reading while one the beach...
It was pretty cool though, not going to lie.

Oh, I forgot to mention before that while chatting up some people at a bar in Nice I was asked on a date by a street performer/clown. Of course I declined, because I am happily taken, but hey, not everyday I get asked out by a clown.

Just a side note, it's very common for females to wear heels for any kind of occasion. I didn't bring any heels. So I'm feeling shorter than usual. :)

Anyway, here I am in Paris for the next six nights. Pretty stoked not to be lugging my backpack around for a bit. Though I am pretty tough these days.


Peace&Love
Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment