Family

Family

Friday, June 24, 2011

*No Hard Drugs*

Last leg of the trip is started and I have no new cities to visit.
Technically I've been to Amsterdam before, so this isn't even a 'new city'. How sad.
Not that sad, I'm pretty stoked to be home again within the week. It's been a blast but, I need my bed, I need my clean house (it better be clean when I get back) and I need my family and friends. 5 weeks is a silly long time to travel by yourself. No you know. :)

Now that I have all that out of the way, Paris was fantastic. On the last day I was there, I wandered around and did a little more shopping, because everything was on sale. I think they were switching collections or something, but every store was having huge sales.

I went and saw the Eiffel Tower. I didn't really get to see it being all lit up, since I went back to the hostel early. I did kinda catch a glimpse of it all lit up from the metro windows though. It's a really big tower. That's all I can say. I did not go up in it, because that's just too high. I feel much safer with my feet on the ground.
Police and military were all over the place though. You can't look any where without seeing an officer, military man, or security. I guess no one gets away with anything there.
Then again it is a on the other side of the park from the Military... base? School? something of the sorts across from it.

After my last relaxing night in Paris, I went to bed at a half decent hour (midnight ish?) and woke up bright and early to catch my train. Which I once again barely caught.

I was up around 6 - 6:30... checked out of the hostel and made my way to the metro. Caught both metro's easily arrived at the station and looked at my ticket. I should never assume that the station I buy my ticket at, is the station the train is leaving from. I was at Paris East, I had to be at Paris North. I ran back down to the metro, and thankfully found that the stations were only a metro stop apart.

I stood waiting for the metro, looked at my phone, and I had ten minutes until my train left. Once again, I give thanks to the guardian angel I must have, cause I made it. I may have had to run a little, or a lot, but I did make it.

It must be something about me, that says I can walk, run, or climb ridiculous amounts of stairs, because everywhere I go, I'm either one of the last train cars at the platform or the top floor of the hostel.

Yes, I am once again on the top floor. But it's alright, because it's only the fifth floor, and the stairs are only ridiculously steep. I'm pretty sure for the first flight of stairs the steps are only 5 inches deep. That's about the size of my foot, if that. Frightening. :)

Either way, this is the last hostel I will be staying for hopefully a very long time. I plan on staying in the airport for my last night. :) I have to be at the airport by about 7 a.m. anyway so there's no point in paying for a hostel for that night.

Anyway, I haven't done much in Amsterdam yet. Will start wandering around in a bit. I'm not sure if it's still raining or not, but it was when I woke up. No big deal, I now own an umbrella, so I may as well get some use out of it.

The sign on the hostel door is very amusing as it says 'no hard drugs'. Definitely in Amsterdam. Also I saw I sign on a pub that said, 'everybody welcome, except dodgy people'. I'm not even sure what it means but I was amused.

For the short time I spent wandering last night, it was interesting to see that people of all ages were out and walking about. Actually on the train over here, there were a lot of older people, coming to party I believe.

At the moment though, the hostel seems to be packed with Canadians. It's weird, I haven't met anyone from western Canada until now, and there's at least four other people from Calgary in the room.

So, I think that's all for now. I need some more, so I'm going to go find some.

Peace&Love
Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment