Family

Family

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I'm sorry, I thought this maze was a city.

If you don't like water, don't go to Venice.

In the inner city, where there is no room for cars, boats are the way to travel. The most convenient way to get around is water, with Gondola's, water taxi's and anything else you can call a boat.

It's actually not to hard to find your way around when you're walking. That is only if you are going to one of the major tourist attractions. Other than that, may I suggest, that you are screwed. I don't really remember seeing any street signs. Just signs that said what plaza or canal or church area you are at. But don't worry the locals are very friendly.

The basis of my day then, was walking around Venice. I caught the shuttle bus from the hostel at ten this morning and that took me across the Liberta bridge. That's frightening. That is a very long bridge that has cars, buses, and trains going over it, taking you from the mainland to the Island. Once in Venice, I had to take a train (the people mover) to Piazzale Roma, or the main bus terminal. There I walked straight into Venice. With every other tourist. I planned on there being a lot of people, being as it Sunday and all, but oh my word was it crowded. I'm guessing there's not a lot of space on a good day, but this was nuts.

It wasn't hard to find where I was going. I went first to the Rialto market. Basically a lot of little vendors all over a huge bridge that crosses the Grand Canal. Next was on to the Basilica San di Marco, also found fairly quickly. You don't know you are these places until you step out into them though. You don't really see where you're going, just walk and follow the signs.

The Basilica was very crowded, and the line-up to get in was way to long. Quick history lesson, it was originally built in 829 and then has been built onto and reconstructed quite a few times since then. It's a religious building, with the body of St. Mark behind a massive alter piece. Hence the name.

It's a lovely building though, quite massive with many different sections. The mosaic scenes on the front (a few posted on facebook) are very well done.

Next I made my way to the Gallerie dell'Accademia, also a little bit of a line-up with a few tourist groups out front.

Taking as many pictures as I could, I had a pretty good time in Venice. Weather was gorgeous again. Right now though I feel like I'm in the middle of a tempest. The thunder literally sounds like gunshots, totally made me jump. I think the storm is starting to wrap up (though as I type that, it's still roaring, just a little quieter), the rain not drowning everything out anymore and it's almost quite soothing.

In the midst of all my wanderings, I stumbled upon a flea market. It was wonderful all the little trinkets and whatnot they had for sale. I wish I had more to spend, but it's probably for the best that I don't have money to blow. :)

Once done all my wanderings, I made my way back to the main terminal. Before I arrived, I stopped at a little cafe and had some pasta and a glass of wine. I nice old man sat down at the table next two me. After awhile we started chatting. He was actually in Venice for his daughter's wedding, but he's originally from Stuttgart, a German city.

He told me that he was just waiting for his wife who was shopping on her own today. He hoped that she could find him, seeing as how Venice is such a maze. After talking for a bit we parted ways, he bid me safety and good luck on the rest of my journey.

Then I caught the bus back to the mainland. Ever take an accordion bus around a traffic circle? It's much like a circus ride. Stopped on my walk back to the hostel for ice cream, because it was still boiling outside.

When I made it back, it was actually only four in the afternoon. Which is how small Venice is.

So then today I did some laundry, as my trip is basically two-thirds done already, and I prefer my clothes clean.

I've spent the rest of my night preparing for tomorrow, where I have to be up early to catch the bus to the station and then the train to Roma. Maybe this time I'll be allowed to sit in my seat. :)

Peace&Love
Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment